Sign in to follow this  
admin

Just how does a decrease in flux produce an increase in speed in a linear machine?

Just how does a decrease in flux produce an increase in speed in a linear machine?

• You can write the answer and upload relevant images to justify the answer (if required)
  • Let's together discuss and contribute in making the best answer

This process is called "field weakening" and it was used for speed control on the ancient rolling mill where I worked long ago. As the field current is reduced, flux must be cut more rapidly to maintain the back EMF. The only way this can happen is for the rotor to turn more rapidly, thereby cutting more flux per unit of time.

DrD

The term "linear machine" seems ambiguous to me. I think you intend to describe an electrical machine (motor) described by linear differential equations.

The term can also be used to describe an electric motor for which the moving element translates rather than rotates. For a translating induction machine, the usual acronym is LIM, Linear Induction Machine. Such machines can also be built in synchronous form, known as LSM, Linear Synchronous Machines.  The linear machines of this sort are being used to launch aircraft from aircraft carriers.

DrD

Sign in to follow this